LearnUpon is looking for a Development Team Manager to join our team in Belgrade.
LearnUpon is a cloud-based software company headquartered in Dublin, Ireland with offices in Sydney, Philadelphia and Belgrade. LearnUpon is designed for organizations looking to distribute their courses and track their training quickly and easily at scale.
At LearnUpon we put our customer’s experience at the heart of everything we do, we always strive for the best solution (not the easy one), and we commit to producing work that we can be proud of. Our company is a very open, collaborative environment where team and individual accomplishments are celebrated and encouraged. You can be part of a team who supports and guides each other to be our best (especially on those tough days), who does their best work in a supportive and fun environment.
You will be joining our experienced and fast growing development team based in Belgrade. Reporting to our CTO, you will get to work on a wide variety of projects including scaling, automation, coordination of our product feature updates through agile processes and iOS app delivery to name but a few. Our ideal candidate will be responsible for managing our development team, mentoring and guiding on a daily basis, all the while researching best practices, and new techniques to improve our development skills and project processes.
What will I be doing?
Mentoring & Leading
- Provide technical leadership to teammates through coaching and mentorship.
- Whiteboard a fix to a tricky problem — and then make it happen with your team.
- Maintain high standards of software quality within the team by establishing good practices and habits.
- Identify and encourage areas for growth and improvement within the team.
- Collaborate with hiring managers for seeking out new members of the team and playing an important role in the interview processes.
Planning & Process
- Coordinating project deliverables with our product managers ensuring realistic timelines and on-schedule delivery.
- Related to same, in-depth experience in agile methodologies, scrum, story pointing, refinements etc.
- Coordinating team stand ups and communications, ensuring that process is being followed in the Dev team, identifying performance bottlenecks, failure to follow process, and ensuring a performant and efficient team.
- Coordinating additional internal projects, e.g. code maintenance, stack upgrades, integrations, etc.
- Coordinating post implementation reviews helping to demonstrate success, or otherwise, of all projects and identifying areas for improvement.
- Having the responsibility to make calls on code quality, pull requests, code standards at a team level.
- Support deployment of releases and provide escalation support to teams.
- An in-depth understanding of modern web app development is required. But this role is not focused on coding, but leadership of our development initiatives and team. There might be a need from time to time to debug code with your team members and/or write some scripts/tools that help improve our operations processes.
What skills do I need?
- 5+ years of experience managing a team in a software development organization that delivered commercial software or software-based services.
- 4+ years of production web app development experience.
- 3+ years of experience planning, designing, and developing software, including highly scalable systems and experience with AWS architecture in web apps.
- Expertise in web development using a backend framework such as Rails, Struts, Django etc.and web browser technologies.
- Proven leadership skills and teamwork skills. You have experience guiding and mentoring software development engineers.
- Proven ability to work and deliver effectively in a customer-focused, cross-functional team
- Thorough understanding of common Internet protocols (e.g. HTTP, DNS, SMTP) and familiarity with APIs and integrations with third-party apps.
- Ability to solve, digest and discuss issues/solutions with team members that may not be familiar with such terminology/technologies.
- Test automation, TDD and CI/CD are familiar ground for you.
- Excellent written and spoken English for communicating with the team.
Don’t worry if you don’t tick every box in order to apply, we’re always happy to review applications and take all experience into consideration. We do our utmost to provide feedback where we can!
Not required but considered a big plus
- Experience maintaining large scale/production Ruby/Rails apps.
- Scripting language experience / DevOp responsibilities such as Perl, Python etc. or similar languages.
Why work with us?
- Work in a fun and supportive environment with regular team events.
- Excellent career progression – take LearnUpon where you think it can go.
- Structured learning environment.
- Competitive salary and company ESOP.
- Private health insurance.
- 22 days annual leave.
What is the Hiring Process?
Applicants for the position can expect the following hiring process:
- Qualified applicants will be invited to schedule a 30-minute call.
- Successful candidates will then be invited to a series of technical interviews.
- Finally, candidates will have a short interview with our CEO.
- Successful candidates will be contacted with an offer to join our team.